Products & Applications > JellaGel™
Next Generation Jellyfish Collagen Hydrogel for in vitro cell culture and tissue engineering.
JellaGel™ offers customers a completely natural and non-mammalian alternative to mammalian and synthetic hydrogels that are currently on the market.
JellaGel has been proven to provide a highly compatible micro-environment that allows cells to be encapsulated without affecting viability. Encapsulation is also synchronised with cell adhesion in all three dimensions (3D).
This product is available in 20ml and 100ml liquid formats and can be used with your cells at room temperature.
|Innovative||Offers a viable alternative to mammalian and synthetic
|Non-mammalian & disease vector free||Highly purified jellyfish collagen alternative providing
consistent, repeatable results.
|Translatability||Suitable for translation from in vitro to in vivo
|Batch to batch consistency||Offers improved research productivity allowing
security of product consistency and reproducible
|Evolutionary ancient collagen demonstrating
sequence homology to collagen I, II, III & V
|Universal applications for multiple cell types and
|Produced in a ISO13485:2016 facility||Manufactured in a controlled and safe environment,
fulfilling the expectations of customers and regulatory
|Inert Material||Cleaner at miRNA level when compared to mammalian
alternatives giving customers a cleaner cell culture with
less off-target effects.
|Easy to use||Stored in liquid format at 2-8°C and material can be
prepared at room temperature with your cells.
|Increased surface area: media ratio||Allows for improved nutrients and waste exchange,
lowering the risk of cell necrosis.
|Format||20ml & 100ml|
|Serum level||Serum free|
|Storage||Store at 2-8°C|
|Shelf life||6 weeks from date of manufacture|
|Turbidity||Clear to Opaque|
|SELF CONTRACTED FOLLOWING JELLAGEN PROTOCOL|
|pH||7.0 - 7.4|
JellaGel™: Gelling Protocol
A step-by-step photo guide and video are also available further down this page.
PLEASE NOTE: The protocol is for gelling the material only, different applications, quantities and set up can be used.
Please contact us for any assistance.
Pre-requisite: Prepare Reagents
● 10X Phosphate-buffered saline (PBS, with 25mg/litre phenol red)
● 2M Sodium hydroxide (NaOH) solution
● 0.2M NaOH solution
● Pre-harvest cells for addition to the hydrogel pre-incubation (Step 7)
- Prepare reagents and centrifuge JellaGel material at 4°C to remove bubbles.
- Transfer JellaGel material into vessel of choice. Preferably a round, wide bottom vessel that will allow for efficient mixing.
- Add 10x PBS with 25mg/litre Phenol Red in a ratio of 9:1 of Collagen:PBS.
- Under constant (gentle) stirring, add 2M Sodium Hydroxide Solution at 2% of total volume (e.g. add 88ul to 4.4ml collagen). Make sure to minimise bubble formulation and ensure the solution is homogeneous (uniformly coloured solution) before continuing to the next step.
- Continue dropwise addition of 2M NaOH until ‘peach’ like colour is reached (refer to colour chart). Make sure the solution is homogeneous before adding more 2M NaOH.
- Use 0.2M Sodium Hydroxide to make minor adjustments to reach pH 7.4. Do not exceed pH 7.4. pH must be confirmed using pH paper or pH probe.
- Add pelleted cells immediately, distribute evenly by stirring/swirling, then stop agitation and leave stationary at room temperature for 15 minutes.
Take care not to agitate the gel during this time.
- Carefully transfer the preparate to an incubator at 37°C for 45-60 minutes without agitating until the hydrogel has fully contracted.
- Aspirate excess media from around the hydrogel and replace with fresh cell media of choice.
Order a JellaGel sample!
Jellagen are pleased to offer product samples at discounted rates. Follow the link below to place your order.